Honors, Degrees, and Indian Names 133
1.* Take two honors at least in the list of mountainclimbing (see p. 103). (One in L. L.)
2. Have camped out at least 30 nights in the mountains.
3. Know, name and describe the 14 great divisions of the earth's crust (according to Geikie). (Any 8 for L. L.)
4.* Know and name 25 different kinds of rock. (10 in. L. L.)
5.* Define watershed, delta, drift, fault, glacier, terrace, stratum, dip. (Any 5 of these in L. L.)
6. Know at least 20 mammals that live in the mountains. (12 for L. L.)
7. " " " 50 mountain birds. (25 in L. L.)
8. " " " 25 mountain trees. (15 in L. L.)
9. Have made a journey alone on foot through the mountains of at least 100 miles, sleeping out every night. (Companion and horse allowed in L. L.)
10. Can swim 100 yards.
PATHFINDER OR SCOUT
The Degree of Pathfinder is conferred on those who take 12 of these tests:
1. Know every land bypath and short cut for a distance of at least 2 miles in every direction around your local headquarters in the country, (1 mile in L. L.)
2.* Have a general knowledge of the district within a 5-mile radius of his local headquarters, so as to be able to guide people at any time, by day or night. (2 miles for L.L.)
3. Know the general direction and population of the 5 principal neighboring towns and be able to give strangers correct directions how to reach them. (3 towns in L. L.)
4. Know the country in 2-mile radius, or in a town...